Friday, March 1, 2013

Good Fortune

I think that is a great name for a quilt.  

I had the "Good Fortune" of having Karen attend a quilt show last year and find this kit.   She loved it, so knew I would too.  She texted me a picture of the quilt hanging in a vendor's booth and asked me if I wanted a kit.  Since we have such similar taste in projects, I trusted her and knew I would love it too.

I usually have so many hand projects going on that I wanted to make a pieced quilt with no applique on it.   Rarely am I drawn to pieced quilts without applique.   But, I love the colors of this quilt and the fact that it is scrappy just added to the appeal.  


The backing is flannel.  I wanted a cozy quilt to cuddle up in.  


Right after I got the binding finished, I tried cuddling up in it but it was really stiff.  (I don't prewash my fabric).   So, I threw it in the washing machine, and voila, a soft and cuddly quilt it was!  I always love the "old" look that washing gives a quilt.


It's home will be my nest where I can stay warm and stitch away on all those hand projects I have to do.   :)

I don't remember the shop that offered this quilt, but maybe Karen will comment and let you know.  

Hugs, Anne

23 comments:

Nancy E said...

Love the quilt! Who designed the pattern?

Karen said...

It looks beautiful and snuggly and perfect for the nest :). The kit came from Homespun Quilt Shop in Estherville Iowa. She has amazing kits and is our first stop when we know she's at a quilt show.
Hugs - Mrs. Farmhouse
BTW - I need to get that quilt done lol

Michelle said...

Love it

Carol said...

Anne it is wonderful...looks so cozy. Love it...Karen is a great personal shopper.

Jean(ie) said...

Oh this is so darn darling!!!!
I love my quilts all washed and crinkly. That's when they're so comfy!

Me and My Stitches said...

The next best thing to being at the quilt show? Having your friend there shopping for you! Love your quilt - red is my favorite.

Darlene said...

Oh, it's fabulous, Anne! Definitely a cuddle quilt. :-)

Yvette said...

Oh, that is right up my alley. Love it!

Lori said...

That looks like a fantastic cuddle quilt!! Gotta wash newly finished tops, for sure!!
BTW, I love your seasonal sheep!!

Tina said...

What a beautiful, cozy quilt! Love those reds!!!

PamKittyMorning said...

I'm finally catching up! Love all your projects, even the one dipped in coffee! That Christmas quilt will be wonderful when done, I love all the motifs. xo

Kindred Quilts said...

Who wouldn't love such a cuddler! It's beautiful!!!

Kaaren said...

Perfectly beautiful to snuggle under....especially on days like today in my neck of the woods with about 6" of freshly fallen snow.

Love it and love the colors!

Loves to Quilt said...

I love your new quilt! I checked out Homespun's site as well. Fabulous!

moosecraft said...

Love it! The colors, the simplicity of the piecing and the quilting!

MamaT said...

It looks inviting! Love the red....my favorite color!

duelnjewel said...

I would purchase the same kit in a second if I could find it somewhere. It is just beautiful!

paulette said...

Gorgeous quilt...such a good friend to look out for you like this!! :o))
P

Candace said...

Wow - it's easy to see why you like this one so much, Anne! Great idea to back it in flannel! Happy Snuggling!
Cheers!

Sandra said...

Very pretty. I love working with reds. One of my favorite colors. Just makes me happy.

MARCIE said...

What a terrific quilt! Nice having a friend like Karen who knows what you love! Perusing your blog at long last and loving all your wool projects. They are simply dreamy!

little acorns said...

Love a quilt - fresh out of the dryer. . . the 'krinklier' the better. . . & yours is beautiful! xo Bren

Bari Jo said...

I love your red quilt with the flannel backing - and I had a question - about fabrics running - I don't wash my fabrics before I quilt - but had trouble with one running (actually a black that shocked me) and now I am afraid to move forward - do you usually find that you don't have trouble with colors running when you wash? I washed in cold water with a mild soap and the quilt was ruined. I actually had several color catchers in the load 'just in case' and it still ran. I was horrified when I pulled it out of the washer so I washed a few more times and it lightened it but my quilt is now grey in some areas that were white before washing. Any suggestions or thoughts? I used quilt shop quality fabrics, not the cheaper fabrics.